Sunday, January 3, 2010

Scrapbooking for Memories and Milestones

One of my ideas this year is for my kids to start scrapbooking. I would have loved to have done that when young and to be able to look back and sort of connect with what ensued in the past. I googled some scrapbook packages and found Funky Monkey on eBay. Sounds good, will revisit it.
But then I received Alvin and the Chipmunks' journal after purchasing 24 donuts at Big Apple. Pretty awesome. Only now I need to get another one for the other toddler. Tears will ensue if I don't and I don't want to deal with that type of stress. But if I do get my hands on another Alvin and the Chipmunks' journal, those would easily suffice as their scrapbooks for this year.
Anyway, scrapbooking for toddlers, geez... give them colour pencils and get them to write down three words that sums up the day. Tasneem would probably be interested, though her handwriting is gigantic. And Yusuff will only write O's. I plan to coach him a little more to start writing other letters but he's one of those visual learners who sit quietly and observe. He doesn't like practicing, neither does he like praise. Then one fine day, he'll do whatever it was he was watching quietly without any prompting.
And...of course, stickers! Hooray! I love buying stickers for the monsters. Though I wish they would appreciate them more. But that's fine. I'll skip on the embellishments and other fancy scrapbooking decorations (or whatever you call them) but scout around for more stickers than this house can already handle.
So, homeschool writing, creativity, expression, character building and hopefully they will learn a little about dates and months etc. One simple idea, full of homeschooling fun inshaallah.
The best thing about scrapbooking is that it will work for any age group and it keeps valuable memories in tact for those many years later when the kids look back and ask themselves, what was homeschooling really like?

No comments:

Post a Comment